This page reports a synthesis of the main elements that characterise the national AI strategy with a specific focus on the public sector. It extracts the information related to a single country from a comparative analysis done by the AI Watch team and reported in full in the science for policy report “AI Watch. European Landscape on the Use of Artificial Intelligence by the Public Sector”.
- Artificial Intelligence can realize a variety of e-Government objectives
- Latvian public sector can be a leader in implementing AI solutions, by focusing on adopting rather than developing new solutions
- Continuing open data initiatives for the development of public sector AI
- Improve the awareness of AI and the skillset to develop and use AI in the public sector
- Public service providers should have funding available for the testing of AI
- Include AI-related metrics in e-Government performance matrix for assess performance
Learning by doing
Stimulating awareness and knowledge sharing
Ethical and legal framework
Improving data access and quality
Funding and procurement
Improving internal capacity
The strategy lists a series of pilot projects developed in the public sector. Among them a focus was on virtual assistants that are promising, but challenging to train and at the same time ensure adherence to continuously evolving regulatory frameworks.
On data access and quality the strategy highlights how data should be open by default, taking into account personal data protections.
On trainings, the strategy highlights that AI skills should not only be acquired by ICT specialists, but by a wider range of users and managers. Therefore, actions will be undertaken in order to raise the level of understanding of AI as well as the development of AI related skillsets.
Cooperation with the public and the private sector is considered crucial in implementing AI solutions.
Finally, it is promoted a separate funding programme for public service providers to test new AI solutions.
Informatīvais ziņojums “Par mākslīgā intelekta risinājumu attīstību”
Data of release
Specific actions to public sector
ACTION POINT 3:: Use of AI in the public sector.
AI-inclusive solutions must be prioritised in public administration development processes. Line ministries need to assess the integration of automation and AI systems into their processes, including through the maintenance budget of existing information systems