This page reports a synthesis of the main elements that characterise the national AI strategy with a specific focus on the public sector. It extracts the information related to a single country from a comparative analysis done by the AI Watch team and reported in full in the science for policy report “AI Watch. European Landscape on the Use of Artificial Intelligence by the Public Sector”.
- One of the key action areas of the strategy is to improve the quality of public services and the public administration
- Emphasis is given on the reform of the public administration with new technologies by improving infrastructure, analysis tools and collaboration with experts
- Public sector organizations should use more agile methodologies, trials and pilots. Testing and trial of AI is highly encouraged
- Public and private sector need to work together to remove obstacles to AI development and adoption
- Legislative framework for sharing data protection will be introduced to facilitate data sharing
- Opening up of more public and private sector data
Learning by doing
Stimulating awareness and knowledge sharing
Ethical and legal framework
Improving data access and quality
Funding and procurement
Improving internal capacity
A specific section in the strategy is aimed at the use of AI in the public sector and public services.
The strategy explicitly highlights the importance of having the public and private sector working together. Trials and pilots are promoted in collaboration with start-ups and with SMEs. Digital Innovation Hubs to stimulate AI by boosting research and innovation are highly important.
The document explicitly mention funding programmes. It aims at promoting the start-up ecosystem through targeted investments. Moreover, the government will co-finance centres of excellence for Smart Cities.
In order to boos data access and quality, the government will further develop the National Open Data Portal and the National Research Data Portal.
Moreover, the government will develop a legislative framework regarding data protection. This legislation aims to facilitate the interoperability of data with the aim of fostering the provision of APIs.
National Strategy for Artificial Intelligence (AI): Actions for the Exploitation and Development of AI in Cyprus
Data of release
Specific actions to public sector
Chap 2.2: The role of Public Sector
Chap 2.5: Actions for the Development of AI